- PhD student in Petroleum Engineering, The University of Kansas (2017-present), USA
- Master of Science in Chemical Engineering, University of Missouri-Columbia (2015), USA
- Master of Science in Polymer Engineering, Tehran Polytechnic (2013), Iran
- Bachelor of Science in Polymer Engineering, Tehran Polytechnic (2010), Iran
Hydraulic fracturing is one of the most enduring and reliable technologies ever developed to increase and maintain the well productivity. My current research is focused on application of energized fluids and foams in hydraulic fracturing. Foam fluids can take advantage of CO2, N2 or a combination of both gases, with the help of viscoelastic surfactants (VES) for actual field application. In my research maintaining the fracture permeability and increasing the production rate are critical factors to consider following the hydraulic fracture stimulation of geological resources. Variety of high temperature-pressure CO2 foam flooding, interfacial tension and rheometrical tools are employed in my research to discover the relation between foam microstructure and rheological properties to proppant transport and fracture conductivity.
While bulk foam study is ongoing, microfluidic approaches to image and quantify the stability of foam at pore scale is the next phase of my project. Microfluidic devices are porous media systems with layered permeability. Microfluidic devices are made using photolithography to form a mold for casting the PDMS structure which requires a mask and light source to pattern a photosensitive resistant polymer to match the features of the mask. It is expected to find the correlation of microscale observations to macroscale phenomena such as proppant transport, clean up and fracture leak-off in 2-D PDMS microfluidic devices.
- Hooman Hosseini, Jyun Syung Tsau, John Wasserbauer, Saman A. Aryana, Reza Barati Ghahfarokhi, Synergistic foam stabilization and transport improvement in simulated fractures with polyelectrolyte complex nanoparticles: Microscale observation using laser etched glass micromodels, Fuel, Volume 301, 2021, 121004, ISSN 0016-2361.
- Hooman Hosseini, Feng Guo, Reza Barati Ghahfaorkhi, Saman, Aryana; “Microfluidic Fabrication Techniques for High-Pressure Testing of Microscale Supercritical CO2 Foam Transport in Fractured Unconventional Reservoirs” Journal of Visualized Experiments, April 2020.
- Negar Nazari, Hooman Hosseini, Jyun Syung Tsau, Karen Shafer-Peltier, Craig Marshall, Qiang Ye, Reza Barati Ghahfarokhi, Development of highly stable lamella using polyelectrolyte complex nanoparticles: An environmentally friendly scCO2 foam injection method for CO2 utilization using EOR, Fuel, Volume 261, 2020, 116360, ISSN 0016-2361,
- Hooman Hosseini, Jyun Syung Tsau, Karen Shafer-Peltier, Craig Patrick Marshall, Qiang Ye, and Reza Barati Ghahfarokhi “Experimental and Mechanistic Study of Stabilized Dry CO2 Foam Using Polyelectrolyte Complex Nanoparticles Compatible with Produced Water to Improve Hydraulic Fracturing Performance” Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., Just Accepted Manuscript (May 8, 2019)
- Environmentally friendly waterless fracturing with supercritical CO2 foam prepared in produced water: Mechanistic study, Hooman Hosseini, Jyun-Syung Tsau, Karen Shafer- Peltier, Craig Marshall, Qiang Ye, and Reza Barati. Accepted abstract for poster presentation at ACS National Meeting & Exposition, San Diego, California, August 2019
- Development of Highly Stable Lamella Using Polyelectrolyte Complex Nanoparticles: An Environmentally Friendly scCO2 Foam Injection Method for Greenhouse Gas Management. Negar Nazari, Hooman Hosseini, Jyun-Syung Tsau, Karen Shafer- Peltier, Craig Marshall, Qiang Ye, and Reza Barati. Presented talk at Applied Energy Symposium, MIT A+B (AEAB2019), May 2019.
- Experimental and Mechanistic Study of Stabilized Dry CO2 Foam Using Polyelectrolyte Complex Nanoparticles Compatible with Produced Water to Improve Hydraulic Fracturing Performance, Hooman Hosseini, Jyun-Syung Tsau, Karen Shafer- Peltier, Craig Marshall, Qiang Ye, and Reza Barati. Published paper at ACS Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, May 2019.
- Highly stable scCO2-high salinity brine interface for waterless fracturing using polyelectrolyte complex nanoparticles, Hooman Hosseini, Jyun-Syung Tsau, and Reza Barati. Presented talk and poster at 256th ACS National Meeting & Exposition, Boston, Massachusetts, August 2018
- Lowering Fresh Water Usage in Hydraulic Fracturing by Stabilizing scCO2 Foam with Polyelectrolyte Complex Nanoparticles Prepared in High Salinity Produced Water, Hooman Hosseini, Jyun-Syung Tsau, and Reza Barati. Published paper and presented talk at SPE International Conference and Exhibition on Formation Damage Control, Lafayette Louisiana, February 2018
- CO2 Foam Fracturing Fluids Stabilized in High Salinity Environment Using Polyelectrolyte Complex Nanoparticles, Hooman Hosseini, Jyun-Syung Tsau, Edward Peltier and Reza Barati, Presented Poster, Kansas Governor’s Water Conference, 2017
- Encyclopedia of Polymer Applications, Porous Polymers: Applications in Gas Separation and Storage, Taylor and Francis Group, 2018.
- MOF-74 and UTSA-16 Film Growth on Monolithic Structures and their CO2 Adsorption Performance, the Chemical Engineering Journal, 2016.
- Aminosilane-Grafted Zirconia–Titiania–Silica Nanoparticles/Torlon Hollow Fiber Composites for CO2 Capture, Wiley-ChemSUSChem, 2016.
- Improved Electrochemical Performance of Alkaline Batteries Using Quaternary Ammonia Polysulfone- Functionalized Separators, ACS Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, 2016.
- Compression failure analysis of graphite foam core based sandwich composite constructions, Mechanical Properties and Performance of Engineering Ceramics and Composites VIII, Wiley, 2013.